Monday, May 4, 2009
Dear Dr. Dave and Dr. Dee,
What are some good anti-aging foods? Why would these foods help wrinkles?
Anti-aging foods are rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help keep skin firm by protecting the skin's collagen and elastic tissue from oxidants or "free radicals" (unstable oxygen molecules) that attack it. These foods could help prevent and reduce inflammation, regulate metabolism, burn body fat, lower cholesterol and blood pressure, prevent cancer, protect against heart disease, and benefit digestive health (Oprah.com, 2009; Perricone, 2009).
Different doctors and nutritionists have their favorite antioxidant foods. But, certain foods seem to show up on most lists such as berries, dark green leafy vegetables, salmon, tomatoes, tea, nuts, beans and whole grains. The Oprah Show has featured Dr. Nicholas Perricone and Dr. Mehmet Oz who recommended foods to help look and age better. Dr. Perricone and Dr. Oz's anti-aging food lists are below.
DR. PERRICONE'S 10 SUPERFOODS (www.nvperriconemd.com)
1. Acai Fruit: a high energy berry from the Amazon.
2. Allium Family: garlic, onion, leeks, and chives.
3. Barley: most beneficial grain.
4. Green Foods: blue green algae, barley grass, wheat grass.
5. Buckwheat Seed: more protein than rice or wheat.
6. Beans & Lentils: high fiber.
7. Hot Peppers: anti-inflammatory analgesic
8. Nuts & Seeds
10. Yogurt and Kefir
A more detailed list of anti-aging foods recommended by Dr. Perricone is below (www.perriconemd.com).